The PPS is a family of Soviet submachine guns developed in the early 1940’s chambered in 7.62x25mm Tokarev. Designed by Alexei Sudayeva, the PPS was a low-cost personal defense weapon that was used by vehicle crews and support service personnel. This family of firearms and its variants were used by the Red Army in World War II and later on by other countries in Africa and Asia.
The PPS-43 is a modern version of the PPS that was intended to improve manufacturing and safety. New features included a ventilated heat shield, shortened barrel and shoulder stock, and the safety positioned to block the trigger. Firing from an open bolt the PPS-43 gets its name from the year it was produced, 1943.